Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Getting Settled

Saying good-bye to my baby :(
I can't believe it's been over a week since my last post.  I guess this is in part not knowing what to write, along with not having time with the non-stop schedule my boyfriend and I have had.  It's been a week since I've arrived to Spain and even with multiple extended visits over the past couple of years, it's not any easier transitioning to 'living' in Spain.

When talking about someone moving abroad you'll often here some of these things: "How lucky!  How interesting!  You'll have so much fun!  I'm so jealous!" etc.  But people don't seem to know, or remember, how stressful it is moving your life thousands of miles away to a place whose culture can seem incredibly foreign to you.  The transition period is idealized as simple and painless, no effort necessary, just go on with your adventures.
Missing my Honey BBQ, but Spain does have honey mustard

By all means I'm definitely lucky here.  My boyfriend and our friends are all natives; I have a team of people willing to help me with apartment hunts, shopping trips, banking details, and legal information like residency.  But constantly being surrounded by native Spaniards also takes a lot of effort as I settle into my life for the year.

As much as I love Spain and my friends here, I always forget how exhausting and stressful the first few days are.  With my boyfriend, our friends, and his family I'm constantly surrounded by native Spanish speakers, while this is a great thing and I am proud of how much I am able to understand and speak already, I'm constantly tired from the effort of speaking and listening.  I know that the more I practice, the easier it will become with time, but it's definitely a huge part of the whole adjustment period that I like to forget about.

Can't find anything like this back home!
And while I am settling into my life abroad relatively easily (I am very comfortable with my boyfriend, his family, and our friends) I still feel like this is only a vacation.  I can't help but think that I'll be home in a month or two, not about to begin work in a whole new school culture in the next couple of weeks.

Maybe because it's just too daunting to fully comprehend that big of a change...but poco a poco, no?
Visiting Puente Viesgo
The point is, that while I'm incredibly grateful for this new adventure, it will definitely take time to feel fully settled.  It sure does help feeling at home that as we speak I'm watching Aladdin (in Spanish I might add) and cuddling up to my boyfriend's adorable Boxer, and if that doesn't scream "home away from home" I don't know what does.

Right now I may not understand everything, and there may be times to come where I miss home and the things I've become used to over the years, but I'm okay with that.

After all, what kind of adventure is it if you're not a little apprehensive?  I'm very lucky to have this opportunity, and even more lucky that I have such amazing people helping me along the way.  So for any of you on your next great adventure, Venus the family Boxer and I send you the best wishes.

Bravery comes in may forms and taking any step forward with your life, even if it may be scary or lonely at first, it's worth the risk of what you might be able to accomplish.  Hopefully, I'll have more internet and time, over the next few weeks to post more of how I'm adjusting (like finding our adorable apartment).  Until than, hasta luego.

Are you having any big changes in your life?  How are you settling in?

No comments:

Post a Comment