Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Art of Packing Lightly

I am an awesome packer.  I can squeeze everything needed into one bag perfectly...yet this is still more of a "do as I say, not as I do" because I have yet to fully master the art of packing lightly.

Yeah, I can somehow make everything fit...but a 100lb suitcase isn't going to do anyone much good.  With each trip I get a little better at packing lightly so hopefully this is the year I take my own advice and can finally transform into a light packer


This how I try to pack:


This is what it actually ends up looking like:
source

So this is what I've learned over the years and am trying to enforce in my packing for this year abroad:


Know What You Can Purchase Where You're Going

Deodorant, check source
Chances are most places you will go will have some similar, if not the same, products that you are used to using at home.  If you’re going on a long trip I would definitely recommend researching what you will readily be able to find in the country you are traveling to.  Knowing this will save you the precious weight and space in your luggage.
I know that Spain has almost everything I will need because I’m not picky about brands or particular products (for those with relaxed hair I have heard it can be difficult to find adequate products so bear that in mind).  I’m only bringing enough of most things for the first few weeks until I’m settled into my apartment and life abroad.  For certain special circumstances, like deodorant and make-up, I did stock up because A) I prefer powered deodorant and B) Make-up is expensive in Spain.  And I am not about that.


Know the Weather of Your Destination

Be prepared for anything, source
This is important for trips of any length!  The first time I visited my boyfriend in Cantabria it was summer so I figured I wouldn't need a jacket so I only brought a sweatshirt to wear at his house.  Well the north of Spain is much milder than what I’m used to for summer weather and freezing, not to mention the stares I got for wearing a sweatshirt in public (at least it was a nice one!).
I ended up finding a great jacket there on sale, but had I thought more about the weather would be like I would have been able to pack more useful items.  If you’re going to the tropics it wouldn’t make sense to pack a winter coat, and vice versa.  Bringing the right clothes can help significantly cut down on the amount you try to pack.


Think of and Plan Outfits

source
This probably is where I struggle the most, I can never decide on the outfits I want to bring!  I’m the kind of person who still has clothes from high school “just in case” and when I pack for a trip could pull out any item of clothing I haven’t worn in years and still think “well maybe I’ll finally wear it this time.”  
Packing for a year in Spain I’m trying to be smarter and only pack things I can concretely plan into an outfit.  If I can’t plan it into a suitable outfit, am unsure about it, or can’t wear it with multiple outfits then I most definitely will not wear (no matter how much I try to convince myself I will).
To make my packing criteria all the pieces I pack must be versatile and can be easily layered/”traded” to make multiple outfits with as little items as possible.  Let’s face it if you haven’t worn something or can’t see it in a concrete outfit then you won’t wear it wherever you may be going.  Now if only I could only decide so easily on all of my shoes…



Roll Your Clothes

source
After someone first told me to pack this way, it has become the only way that I pack now.  It’s amazing how much more you can fit in when you roll your clothes instead of fold them flat!  Not to mention it helps keep items from wrinkling during your travels.  This is how I packed for my boyfriend when he moved to Madrid last September for his Master’s and we fit about 90% of his wardrobe into one large suitcase (and he has A LOT of clothes).  You just have to be careful about the weight you might have from being able to fit so much more.
Along with rolling your clothes I also recommend simple things like for smaller items, like storing your socks and underwear in your shoes.  It may sound weird, but it will give you space for the small stuff and it will help your shoes keep their shape during any rough handling your suitcase might endure on its journey.



Use Space Bags

Don't think they could make this all fit.
This is one piece of advice I would use cautiously because often with the space bag you may fit more, but you also may over pack the weight of your luggage.  I generally find the bags the most useful in my carry-on, as they don’t generally check its weight (always try to pack your heaviest items in here for that reason!), or for bulky things that are quite light, like my puffy winter jacket.  

I just bought some bags that are roll-up versus vacuum sealed so I can use them traveling abroad even when I don’t have a vacuum readily accessible (like trying to fit more stuff into my Ryanair sized suitcase, winning).  Again, don’t overuse these bags because at some point you could be stuck with an overweight bag or no means of fitting the unsealed clothes in your luggage.







Take Out Anything You Don't Absolutely Need

My stowaway thinks he's necessary...
Yet another piece of advice I should really take to heart this year.  I’m a very sentimental person and I’m very attached to the seemingly meaningless, little things I’ve collected over the years.  I have to go through and decide what I feel attached to versus what I need.  The best advice I’ve gotten from my family from traveling is to pack all the things you want, and then take out half.  

Now it doesn’t necessarily have to be half, but take out anything you don’t absolutely need or could find wherever you’re going.  Chances are you’ll want to purchase cool things you find along your travels and if you brought too much stuff with you to begin with you’ll either have to pay extra to ship it all back or leave things behind.



Helpful Blog Posts for Packing

Key tips for Auxiliars, part 2: packing for Spain
How to Pack for Living or Studying Abroad
How to Pack a Carry-On Bag for a Ryanair Flight


Bonus: Visa Update!

I picked up my Spanish visa in Boston yesterday and am all set!  There was no line and took all of five minutes.  You just need a photo idea and have to sign a paper saying you received.  Now the move to Spain is officially official!  Feels great to have some stress taken off what seems like incessant waiting for Spain!

Have you mastered the art of packing lightly?  What advice do you recommend for anyone packing for a trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment