Monday, March 4, 2013

The Path to Spain: UCETAM

The UCETAM auxiliares application is now open from March 4th-March 15th!  My warning though is that I will not be posting anything specific in this post because in the e-mail they send out with the application there is a legal notice of confidentiality. I will give some general information here and if you are interested in the program look at the website and contact the program coordinator and she will e-mail you the application; her name is listed on the website.

UCETAM:

First off I do not know much about how auxiliares are in the program; their experiences, issues, opinions.  Thus far I have not been able to find a blog of an auxiliar from UCETAM.  From looking over the website and application it seems that this program is for those with a knowledge of Spanish and an interest/background in teaching.  There is a lot of focus on previous experiences teaching and/or working with children.

The application itself is pretty straightforward; the application packet they e-mail to you, your resume, and a letter of recommendation submitted by the Recommender via e-mail.  You have until midnight (Spanish time, CET, on the 15th) to submit the application.  This is all I will say about the application as not to breach the confidentiality agreement in the e-mail, contact the program coordinator for more information.

The rest of the information in this post is all found at the UCETAM website, which I have linked further down in this post.

According to the UCETAM website the program runs from September to June and like Auxiliares de Conversación, you can only do it for two years.  All placements are in the Madrid community and you work either 17 hours or 25 hours.  All auxiliares receive health insurance, free lunches at the school, and paid school holidays.  If selected for an interview you will be notified.  Those living outside of Madrid will have their interview conducted via skype.  Program decisions will be made during March to late May and the candidates will be notified by e-mail.  There is no information on pay so I would e-mail the coordinator if this is a concern for you.


Applicants must:

  • Have a Bachelor´s degree in ANY subject before the start of the program
  • Be a native English speaker
  • Be eligible to apply for a passport and a student visa in their country
  • There is no an age limit.


It is recommended that program applicants have:
  • A degree in education or bilingual education
  • Prior classroom teaching experience in Spain and/or other countries
  • Knowledge of the Spanish language

Overall, this seems like a great program for those who know Spanish and want to teach.  I'm seriously considering this program but don't know if my Spanish is good enough as you seem to be really involved in the classroom teaching.  I would love to apply and get in but I think it may be better to apply after doing another program for a few years of to get some experience teaching abroad and a higher level of Spanish.  If you have a decent level of Spanish and really do want to teach/be a teacher I would look into this program.  It's geared towards teachers way more than any of the other programs I have found.  It seems more reliable than Auxiliares and that they help you with visas and getting settled into Spanish life like BEDA.  Suerte!


UPDATE:
From what I've been hearing in the different groups, they plan to mainly accept people who are already in Spain because the visa process is easier.


This link leads to a forum that does discuss UCETAM a little: BEDA vs Ministry Program vs Other Program

2 comments:

  1. I would like to apply to UCETAM, but I'm not sure how to do that, or when the application is due, or even whether it's running this year. I didn't find UCETAM's website very helpful at all, and could find no place to apply (although, the reason I couldn't find this may be due to my poor Spanish skills).

    Anyway, any information/advice you could give me would be great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, if you look at the website in English (http://www.ucetampbu.es/index.php/programa-de-auxiliares/auxiliares/como-solicitar) it should tell you how to apply. When I applied last year I had to email the coordinator to get the information and application. I'm pretty sure that's the only way you can apply to UCETAM... Hope that helps!

      It's a very selective program though so it wouldn't hurt to apply to some of the other programs in Spain if you want to teach English here :)

      Delete